.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

support micro-entrepreneurs

A work at home mom (WAHM)journal. FunTables are unique hand painted children's furniture.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Insurance companies & their secret database

I recently discovered that a storage room in my home had mold damage. The only thing I would store in this room was my kids Christmas tree & their ornaments. Last year the kids decided not to put up their tree, so basically we hadn't gone in that storage room in almost 2 years. Well my son discovered black mold in the room. After have Suburban ChemDry's mold remediation team check out the damages. What has happened is... over the years, when there's a bad rain storm, the water seeps in under the front door and down into the walls soaking the insulation. There was nothing in the room to dry the walls and insulation, thus causing black mold. Normally the insurance companies don't pay for mold remediation, but since the water damage was not caused by rain coming into my home from the ground floor, but through the door upstairs I got "lucky". I say "lucky", because all of the wood behind the drywall was rotted. Even the sub-floor from upstairs was rottened and the insurance company won't pay for that. So, it cost over $4,000.00 to fix and the insurance company paid about $750.00 of that. I read today that the insurance companies keep a file of your claims and will drop you at will. What this file does is if you want to sell you house, they will deny the new buyer insurance coverage, thus no sell on your home. What a scam. The government requires us to have insurance, but the insurance companies decides whether or not and how much of the claim they are going to pay and we the consumers have no recourse. Oh, what to do... what to do? Check out this info.. http://www.moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourhome/P35345.asp I've been happy w/ state farm thus far, of course I haven't had to submit a home owners claim until now.